This Christmas day, Geek Pie Radio huffs, puffs and grunts its way down your chimney carrying a festive audio sack stuffed full of a playlist with ambient and Yuletide delights, and a couple of unreleased gems for good measure.
I came across the stunning performance of “A NNATU,” performed live by Enza Pagliara and Dario Muci, while hosting a very special virtual Christmas Concert for the good people of EShareLife, which you can view on demand using this link. Enza kindly took the time to email me and explain the origins of the song:
“This song has a very tender history: its text was written in the dialect of my region (Salento, in southern Puglia) by a religious man of great depth and great vocation. His name is Don Franco Lupo. His poem was set to music by me in 2019, last year on the occasion of Christmas. The piece performed as you have heard for two voices, is sung together with the voice of Dario Muci. Dario too, thanks you and like me he sends you my best wishes for a happy Christmas and a Merry 2021 to you and to all listeners. We all need good wishes for a more peaceful future for all of humanity.”
Upwards and onwards my friends. Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year! As Seamus Heaney said, “If we can winter this one out, we can summer anywhere.”
Mixcloud (guest mix for GroupMind)
Christmas Day Ambient Playlist
- Leonard Cohen – The Tibetan Book of the Dead (excerpt)*
- The Hamrahlíð Choir featuring Björk – Cosmogony
- Enza Pagliara and Dario Muci – A NNATU*
- Trio Mediæval – Nobilis Humilis (St Magnus Hymn)
- Hildegard von Bingen, Sequentia, Barbara Thornton – Nunc Aperuit Nobis
- Matthew Halsall – Mindfulness Meditations
- Boozoo Bajou – Jan Mayen
- Kara-Lis Coverdale – Moments In Love
- Dawn Chorus and the Infallible Sea – Liberamente
- Richard Norris – Dusk Magic
- Robert Fripp and Brian Eno – Wind On Wind
- Vril – Riese (Rework)
- Eva Lunny – Memory Wall*
- Ana Roxanne – Suite Pour L’invisible
- Eraldo Bernocchi, Harold Budd and Robin Guthrie – Don’t Go Where I Can’t Find You
- Park Jiha – Pause
- Jon Hopkins – Dawn Chorus
- Harold Budd – Olancha Farewell
- Brian Eno – Clear Desert Night
- Brian and Roger Eno – On the making of the ‘Apollo’ album and its 2019 counterpart ‘For All Mankind’*
- = unreleased, so not in the Spotify playlist
Do you like good music?
Would you like an email with great music delivered to your inbox every month? Go ahead and click this incredibly subtle green button to join the mailing list 👇 No spam ever, just great music and a few links, one email a month, GDPR compliant, instant opt-out or delete, your details will never, ever be shared.
Did you enjoy the Christmas Day Ambient Playlist? For more mixtapes click here.