From Egosystem To Ecosystem at Web Summit 2020 with Siemens: why we have to rethink competition to unlock the full potential of IoT
The last decade was about connecting the consumer world. This decade is about connecting infrastructure and industry to the Internet of Things (IoT)—and the pandemic has only accelerated this trend.
So, at Web Summit 2020 in December, Siemens brought together eight leaders across the private sector, government, and academia. Barbara Humpton, CEO of Siemens USA, and Daniel Felicio, Head of Siemens Advanta Solutions then asked: How we can unlock the full potential of the IoT to transform infrastructure, industry, and society?
And one takeaway was clear: No one’s company can develop and offer these end-to-end solutions on its own. We will need to reassess longstanding ways of thinking and redefine competition. The pandemic, in particular, has demonstrated the value of working together as part of an IoT ecosystem – not an egosystem – tapping into the full range of expertise and perspectives to solve problems and innovate new solutions.
It was an incredible honour to join Barbara and Daniel for their workshop, alongside some leaders and thinkers whom I admire greatly for their insights and creative passion:
- Lisa Seacat DeLuca, Director emerging solutions, Digital Twin & AI applications, IBM
- Thomas Birr, Chief Strategy and Innovation Officer at E.ON
- Bruce Douglas, Director – Business & Communications, Eurelectric
- Jim Ryan, Head of IoT product at Sierra Wireless
- Neel Dayal, Director, Innovation and Partnerships at Rogers Communications
- Tsu-Jae King Liu, Dean and Roy W. Carlson, Professor of Engineering at Berkeley
- Rodney Clark, Corporate Vice President, IoT and Mixed Reality Sales at Microsoft
Click here to read a great summary of the conclusions from our workshop.
For more events news click here.
To listen to Barbara Humpton and Lisa Seacat DeLuca on the Siemens Advanta podcast, click here.